Bath 10 Ospreys 13

A 15m run in from Matthew Dwyer gives the Ospreys a last minute try to secure their first win this season in the LV=Cup

Against a powerful Bath side, an impressive defensive effort from the Ospreys kept them in the tight game before a try two minutes before time, courtesy of Dwyer, allowed them to steal the lead and claim their first win the LV=Cup this season.

Despite an early show of dominance, where Bath spent a large portion of the first 5 minutes camped out on the Ospreys 22 it was a fairly equal start for the two sides. A mixture of effective Ospreys defence and handling errors from the home side stopped them making further progress.

Looking strong with the ball in hand, the Ospreys also had chances to test the home sides back line. Despite struggling with the set piece they were again building momentum towards the try line when the ball went forward and Bath took the opportunity to pick it up and run. Between them they managed to race from their own 22 to the  try line relatively untouched to open the scoring, Richard Lane with an unconverted try.

The young Ospreys side were quick to respond and when Tom Grabham broke it allowed them to get within touching distance of the try line. When Captain Stuart Hooper killed the ball, he was sent to the sin bin and the Ospreys had to settle for three points as Sam Davies kicked a successful penalty goal.

While the home side pounded the Ospreys try line, the visitors consistently held out their advances in an impressive defensive play. However when Marc Thomas was shown a yellow Bath were quick to take advantage of their additional man. 

With four minutes to go before half time, despite some more strong defence, the Ospreys fell vicitim to their one man deficit and amid a melee of bodies, Max Lahiff crashed over for try number two. Ollie Devoto sending his second conversion attempt wide.

HT: Bath 10 - 3 Ospreys

Despite still being a man down in the first few minutes of the second half, the Ospreys put in a strong display. They built patiently and were moving towards the danger zone when a knock on spoilt their early opportunity.

It was very much even in the second half. both teams taking the opportunity to looking for a gap in their opponents defence. While the Ospreys seemed to lack a bit of final power and finesse to make their efforts count, they also withstood  an immense amount of pressure from the home side's many attacks.

When Aisea Natoga was yellow carded for a deliberate knock on shortly before the hour, the pressure should have mounted for the visitors. Instead they continued to hold out the home sides advances and four minutes later Sam Davies lined up for a penalty kick after Bath were penalised.

Unfortunately for the Ospreys the ball fell short but a minute later they were awarded a second attempt which Davies successfully put between the posts to bring the Ospreys to within 4 points.

Just as it looked like Bath would claim the victory a late resurgence from  the visitors gave the travelling Ospreys fans plenty to cheer. When Bath were penalised, a perfect place kick from Davies had them with a line out on their opponents try line. Despite it going long, the Ospreys reclaimed the ball as Bath cleared. Tevita Cavubati powering up field before Matthew Dwyer ran in from 15 metres to score his first ever Ospreys try to steal the win. Davies' successful conversion giving the Ospreys a 3 point lead.

In the remaining minute all that the Ospreys had to do was hold on to the ball, and as the clock went red, Fussell walked it into touch for the Ospreys to claim a hard earned victory on the road.