Away wins for Ospreys East & West

On a successful night for the Ospreys U16s, there were away wins for both teams on Wednesday.

  • Ospreys West run in 10 tries as they defeat Dragons Red in Ystrad Mynach by 50 points
  • Ospreys East come from behind to beat Scarlets West by just three at Tenby RFC

Ospreys West took to the road and travelled to Ystrad Mynach to take on Dragons Red, the visiting team dominating as they played with width, vision and confidence, scoring 10 tries, with Dan Edwards slotting 14 points.

The opening encounters saw defences prominent and the majority of the rugby being played along the halfway line. However, an excellent break by Ospreys’ Lewis Walker saw him go 40-metres before being tackled just short of the line. This was shortly followed by another good break and offload by Brandon Jones to Dafydd Thomas who crashed over the line, only for it to be disallowed. Jones then went over for a second time, only for the same outcome to occur.

Inevitably, after the early pressure it was the young Ospreys who were the first to get the scoreboard moving, with eight minutes played, as after a period of continued pressure on the Dragons’ line, the boys in black went through the phases, Leo Pietrapertosa picking up from a ruck to force his way across the line, the try successfully converted by Edwards.

The hosts were quick to respond after a handling error out wide by the Ospreys allowed Ben Mattey to pick up and run 25-metres before crossing the whitewash and dabbing down in the corner, Oli Andrews with the extras, to level the score nine minutes in.

The visitors hit back and an outstanding break by Edwards was supported by Jones in the middle channel who crossed under the sticks from close range, Edwards again slotting the ball through the posts to add the extras.

The young Ospreys continued to push away from the hosts on the scoreboard as ten-minutes before half-time, the Ospreys held onto possession,  going through the phases.  Cameron Jones picked up the ball and drove through the Dragons’ defence to score, Edwards again on target.

The Ospreys were in total control and lineout on their 10-metre line saw them move the ball wide to the open side where George Dunn received the ball on the half-way line. He pinned his ears back, and used his speed to travel 50-metres untouched before touching down in the corner for a try that went unconverted.

The last play of the first half saw Matthew Richards pick up the ball in midfield and from five-metres out, he crashed his way across the line. Edwards once again found the target and his team led by 26 points at the break.


From the restart, the Ospreys were straight on the attack and after setting up camp in the Dragons’ 22, the visitors, through quick hands, punched holes in the Dragons’ defence. Gregor Devine went to the open side and after dodging the hosts’ defence, he crossed the whitewash in the corner, his try going unconverted.

The Dragons attempted to pressurise the boys in black and a lineout on the Ospreys’ 22, saw them threaten the Ospreys’ line but the visitors’ black wall remained impenetrable.

The tries were coming thick and an offload to Iestyn Lewis on the half-way line allowed him to run 50-metres to score, Edwards with another successful conversion to take the score to 7 – 45.

In the 48th minute, the ball was switched wide and found its way into Dunn’s hands, who once again using his speed, sprinting down the narrow side to dab down in the corner for his second try of the night, which went unconverted.

It wasn’t long before the hosts were back on the attack. The Dragons moved the ball wide for Charlie Bax to score in the corner, converted by Andrews.

Rhys Harris was sin binned for not releasing the tackler, and the Ospreys were reduced to 14 men. The Dragons now possessed a one-man advantage but the Ospreys were able to slow the ball down, holding their discipline to prevent their opponents from finding a way through.

An interception by Jamie Williams saw him gain 40-metres before offloading to Oscar Muxworthy who crossed the line to score in the corner, the extras coming from Edwards.

There was still time for another Ospreys try in the dying seconds as from the restart, the Ospreys dinked the ball over the top which was collected and passed to Tommy Payne who ran 40-metres to go score, Edwards rounding the game off with his final two-pointer.



Meanwhile, the Ospreys U16s East were also in action away last night as they took on the Scarlets U16s West at Tenby RFC. The game was very evenly contested with both sides looking to push the ball wide and go through the phases. However, an exciting second-half saw the Ospreys come away with the win.

From the off, the young Ospreys pressurised the Scarlets’ line and were awarded for doing so as an excellent pick up and drive from Ryan Neagle saw him cross the whitewash out wide which went unconverted, and gave the visitors an early lead with only three-minutes played.

From the restart, the Scarlets secured possession and the ball was fed wide to Dylan Davies who sliced through the Ospreys’ defence to sprint 40-metres and offload to left wing Jack Williams who touched down in the corner, also unconverted, to level the score..

Both teams at this point were playing an expansive game and were looking to draw the defence in by pick up and goes. However, it was the the Scarlets who were able to threaten the line as from a juggle with the ball, Osian Hill ran 30-metres to find his way across the line under the sticks. The outside-half picked himself up to add the extra points, and pushed the hosts into the lead at half time.


From the restart, the Ospreys were immediately on the attack. Some excellent inter-play between the backs and forwards, working an overlap with pace and power, saw Cory Lewis-Jenkins cross the line from 10-metres out for an unconverted try which closed the deficit to just two points

As the young Ospreys were now back in the game, they displayed an increased sense of confidence and with 49 minutes on the clock, they struck again with a chip and chase from 30-metres out, which saw Ellis Evans pick up his own kick and race over the line for the final, but unconverted, try of the night.

With a narrow lead for the Ospreys, the last quarter of the game proved to be a nail-biting period of play. However, the visitors held onto this lead to take the honours and gain a very pleasing victory.