Age-grade round-up

The U18s and U16s were both in action on Good Friday – here’s all the details of how they fared against the Blues and the Dragons.

Blues U18s 38-26 Ospreys U18s 

The WRU Regional Age Grade champions tasted defeat for the first time this season against a strong Blues side at Ystrad Mynach Centre for Sporting Excellence.

  • Tries from Will Barraclough, Garin Lloyd and a double from Iwan Tremlett put the Ospreys back in the game along with kicks from Luke Scully
  • Fighting back from a 28-0 deficit at the break, the Ospreys dug in deep but the Blues proved too strong at the final whistle

The Ospreys wasted no time in showing why they were crowned champions, with strong pressure from the pack forcing the Blues to knock on from the kick-off giving the Ospreys the put in at the scrum in a good attacking position.

Despite playing the majority of the first 10 minutes deep in the Blues half, the Ospreys struggled to turn their dominance into points with the Blues defence holding up well. 

When a penalty went against the Ospreys, the Blues finally had their opportunity and they took it well. A quick take from Morgan James saw the scrum-half slide under the posts for the opening try of the game. Cavan Slade with the conversion put the Blues 7-0 ahead with 20 minutes played.

The Ospreys were fired up after conceding they try and a superb break by Tiaaan Thomas Wheeler saw him come agonisingly close to the try line only for his offload to go forward.

The Blues’ second try came from lock Thomas John who powered under the posts with Slade adding the extras to put the Blues 14-0 ahead.

With momentum on their side, a great touch finder from Slade led to the Blues third try just after the half hour mark with fullback Max Cunnington crossing the whitewash, the conversion putting the Blues 21 points to the good.

In the hunt for their fourth try before the half time whistle, the Blues attack was relentless. Quick offloads amongst the backs and pace from George Thomas saw the wing slide over in the corner for their fourth try of the game. Slade kicked his fourth conversion to ensure the Blues enjoyed a healthy 2 lead at the break.

Half Time Blues U18’s 28 - 0 Ospreys U18’s

With a 28-point mountain to climb, the Ospreys came out looking for an early score. A great touch finder from skipper Luke Scully saw them come once more in touching distance to the line only the ball to be held up.

But not wanting to come away empty handed once more the forwards went again and Will Barraclough crashed over the line under the posts for the Ospreys first try of the game, Scully with the conversion.

Any thoughts of a comeback came to a juddering halt inside a minute the Blues kicking deep into the Ospreys half where a quick take from Liam Lloyd saw the wing fly over for the Blues fifth try, the first to go unconverted,

The Ospreys were on the back foot and struggling to gain any momentum but a great take from Josh Thomas, followed by an offload to Llyr Gealy saw the wing take the ball on well, his offload to Garin Lloyd sending the hooker over. Scully’s conversion scraped the wrong side of the post.

With 60 minutes on the clock the Blues attacked once more and centre Jack Harvey took advantage of an Ospreys offside to make a break over the line for another unconverted score.

With less than 10 minutes to go, Iwan Tremlett glided over the line for the Ospreys third of the game. Scully slotting the conversion to take the score to 38-19.

It was Tremlett again for the final try of the afternoon, rounding off great interplay to run in for his second try of the game, Scully’s conversion bringing an end to the scoring.


Dragons U16s 19 - 12 Ospreys U16s

Coming together as one team for the first time, the newly combined Ospreys U16s suffered late heartbreak  on Friday evening, a last minute try from the Dragons stealing victory at Ystrad Mynach at the end of a busy day of regional age grade clashes at the ground.

  • Tries from Dan O'Sullivan and Bradley Roderick put the Ospreys on the board after they had gone 12-0 down before the break.
  • Next up for the young squad is the visit from Blues U16's to St Helens on Tuesday 18th April, K.O 7:15pm

Looking for their first win as a newly formed combined squad, the Ospreys U16's faced the Dragons in their first of three games in 10 days.

The Dragons were first off the mark, setting themselves up deep in the Ospreys half. 

With a good position, it wasn't long before their pack powered over the line for the opening try to put them ahead. The conversion from Will Reid, putting them 7-0 ahead with twenty minutes on the clock.

Playing the next 10 minutes in the Ospreys half, the Ospreys defence held up well but eventually the Dragons found a gap allowing Ben Torjesen to glide over the line for the second try of the game. No conversion, but the Dragons sat comfortably ahead going in for half time. 

Half Time: Dragons U16s. 12 - 0 Ospreys U16s

With a 12 point gap to climb the young Ospreys were fired up to but attacking deep in the Dragons 22, quick thinking from the backs and a break from Dan O'Sullivan saw the centre slide over the line for the Ospreys first try of the game.

With momentum on their side the Ospreys were able to take control, and a long touch finder put the boys in a great attacking position in the final quarter of the game.

Power from the pack followed by quick interplay amongst the backs allowed Bradley Roderick to break the line and score. Declan Thomas with the conversion leveled it at 12-12.

With the clock red and three minutes into injury time a strong Dragons attack took the Ospreys off guard. A quick break from Morgan Richards saw the Dragons take the lead at the death. The conversion made the final scores 19-12.

Next up for the Ospreys U16's is a quick turnaround, where they face the Blues U16's at St Helen's on Tuesday 18th April, K.O 7:15pm.