Afan Nedd bring silverware back to Ospreylia

The Afan Nedd District Under 19's travelled to Llanharan RFC last week to play in the final of the Wynne Lloyd Memorial Cup, returning to Ospreylia with the silverware safely in their possession.


The final organised by the WRU for district representative sides who had qualified through the group stages, with Afan Nedd undefeated in their group matches, facing Mid Districts North who had only lost one game in their group stages.

Playing into a strong wind Afan Nedd were forced to play running rugby. Fighting hard to retain possession and make ground they got off to a flying start with an early try from fullback James Davies (Neath Athletic), closely followed with a second try from winger Luke Lewis which was converted by outside half Elliot Jones (both of Neath Athletic).

Mid District North slotted over a penalty to bring the early score 12 – 3 to Afan Nedd, before a quick and decisive response to the penalty saw Elliot Jones pick up a try, closely followed by a try from  No7 Ben Scott Thomas ( Briton Ferry / Corus) which was converted by Jones and brought the score to 24 – 3. Mid District North continued to pressurise and were soon rewarded with a try and conversion of their own to get back into the game at 23 – 10.

Afan Nedd lost No 15 Davies through injury and had to reshuffle their backline, moving Jones to 15 and bringing Cory Jenkins (Briton Ferry / Corus) in at no 10. Jenkins immediately impacted on the game when he released centre and captain Steffan Andrews (Tonmawr) for a great try to bring the score at half-time to 29-10.

With the strong wind in their faces Mid District North fought hard to gain ground and territory in the second half, only to be punished when the inevitable errors / turnovers occurred. Afan Nedd run in a further 5 unanswered tries in the second half, No6 Luke Joseph (Tonmawr) picking up the first followed by prop Peter Owen (Neath Athletic), substitute winger Graham Hale (Aberavon Green Stars), substitute centre Nick Davies (Abercrave) and the last try going to second row John Davies (Glynneath). All second half tries were converted by no 10 Jenkins and brought the final score to 64-10.

The Afan Nedd coaches and committee would like to thank all clubs within the district for their continued support in providing players to represent the district and the players themselves for their effort throughout the season and their commitment and dedication on the night. A first class game of rugby was watched by all present and we are sure a number of players from both districts will step up in the future and hopefully represent their regions in the senior game.