In line with our drive to be at the very centre of the Ospreylian community, Ospreys Rugby are delighted to announce this exciting new initiative which will shortly be rolled out to the primary schools within the unitary authorities of Swansea, Neath / Port Talbot and Bridgend. The initiative has come about through a collegiate strategy developed by Ospreys Rugby, RWE, WRU, Castell Howell Foods and Neath Port Talbot College, respectively.
The scheme will seek to engage pupils in Years 5 & 6 and encourage them to develop their oracy, literacy and numeracy skills through investigating various aspects of Ospreys rugby activities and relating them to aspects of the pupils' own lives. Further to this, the initiative seeks to provide opportunities for pupils to develop their inter-personal skills and enhance their self esteem.
There are 6 elements to this programme, which will be delivered through 6 individual sessions, culminating in a rugby tournament, with the emphasis firmly on participation! The other five areas will focus on the following areas:
- Who are the Ospreys
- A week in the life of an Ospreys player
- Match Day
- A player visit to participating school
- A tour of the Liberty Stadium,
- with a unique multi-sensory experience of how the home changing area would be on match days.
- an energy awareness workshop, in association with RWE.
- a healthy eating experience in association with Castell Howell Foods.
All stake holders in the programme are excited about the prospect of implementing this initiative, which will be formerly launched in september 2012, with Education Minister Leighton Andrew AM among the guests attending.