Camps Top Header

Edinburgh 21-22 Ospreys

By Josh Nicholson | 15/09/2019

Ospreys clinched the second win of pre-season after a 78th minute penalty from Cai Evans secured the victory for the visitors.

After a tight start at the home of Scottish Rugby, a battling Ospreys side made the first break with Keelan Giles carrying strongly into the Edinburgh 22.

The attacks didn’t stop there for the Ospreys who were on the front foot from the start and quickly got into their rhythm with Hanno Dirksen making a break through 3 tackles before handing onto Cory Allen in support. Allen was then replaced on 11 minutes by Tom Williams after taking a knock during the attack.

Two minutes later. The men in white had their first try of the game through Hooker Sam Parry who grounded the ball after brilliant work in the rolling maul. Luke Price couldn’t add the extras.

Early pressure from the Ospreys was stopped when Edinburgh’s Matt Scott levelled the score with some quick work after the Scottish side had worked the ball back, Van Der Walt converted the kick to give the side in blue the lead.

They soon had a second through Jamie Farndale who made a powerful run out wide before finishing with Van Der Walt again adding the extras.

Ospreys came back into the game before half time with solid pressure on the Edinburgh back line but the men from Scotland held firm for a 14-5 lead going into the break.

The South Wales side needed a fast start to the second half with Allen Clarke making a plethora of changes and that’s exactly what they got. Luke Morgan made a blitzing run from a wide position to open up the second half scoring with Luke Price making no mistake a second time to bring the all-whites back to within two points of the lead.

Then came a momentous moment for the Ospreys faithful. Dan Baker made his much anticipated return to the field for the first time since his injury troubles. He immediately made his presence felt halting a dangerous Edinburgh attack.

Soon after, Edinburgh had the ball over the line again despite some strong Ospreys defensive work but the ref deemed there to have been a knock on, no try. Ospreys rang the changes again but Allen Clarke’s men couldn’t keep out a break that started in their own 22 from the hosts leading to another converted try leaving the score at 21-12 with 13 minutes left on the clock.

The Ospreys, fighting hard, went over again after a lovely kick from replacement fly-half Cai Evans into the corner from a penalty. Scott Otten picked up the ball from another successful maul and finished in the corner. Evans again made the most of a difficult kick from near the touchline to bring the score back to 21-19 leading heading into the final 10 minutes.

With the game opening up Ospreys pushed for a final score to take a late lead, they won a penalty 30 yards from goal, with Evans to take the kick with 3 minutes left on the clock. The young Bridgender showed no nerves to convert the penalty and take his team into a 1-point lead which they managed to hold onto to secure a tense victory.




SIXtures Sitewide
Community Rugby Community Rugby
Ospreys Commercial Ospreys Commercial
  • Next Match
  • Last Match



Benetton Rugby Treviso



Liberty Stadium, Swansea

October 12th - 7:35PM

View Match Report

Munster (A)


Friday Oct 25th 2019

KO 7:35PM

Match Preview Buy Tickets


Ospreys TV

EZine Signup

Twitter Feed from @Ospreys